Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Thrive Success Strategies
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 00:19:42
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (94281)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Who stole Judy Garland's red ruby slippers in 2005? The 'Wizard of Oz' theft case explained
- The Best Plus Size Swimwear That'll Make You Feel Cute & Confident
- Interest rate cuts loom. Here's my favorite investment if the Fed follows through.
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Icelandic volcano erupts yet again, nearby town evacuated
- Alaska lawmakers fail to override the governor’s education package veto
- Alaska lawmakers fail to override the governor’s education package veto
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby vows to keep passengers safe after multiple mishaps
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Announcers revealed for NCAA Tournament men's first round
- Supreme Court seems favorable to Biden administration over efforts to combat social media posts
- What is the average life expectancy? And how to improve your longevity.
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- MGM Casino Denies Claims Bruno Mars Owes $50 Million Gambling Debt
- U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
- Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark featured in ESPN docuseries airing in May
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
‘Access Hollywood’ tape won’t be played at Donald Trump’s hush-money criminal trial, judge rules
Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark featured in ESPN docuseries airing in May
Pair accused of defrauding, killing Washington state man who went missing last month
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Country Music Hall of Fame: Toby Keith, James Burton, John Anderson are the 2024 inductees
Psst, the Best Vacuum Cleaners are on Sale at Walmart Right Now: Bissell, Dyson, Shark & More
Stolen ‘Wizard of Oz’ ruby slippers will go on an international tour and then be auctioned